Technical Systems Analyst – Investment Analytics
Typical hours are 8-5 daily on site at Royal Bank Plaza – Bay / Wellington Sts. Toronto.
Salary to about 90k + 20% bonus
SCOPE OF POSITION
Responsible for providing business systems analysis, development & maintenance support for investment applications – mainly Investment Analytics, Investment Performance, Data Warehouse and Risk Management applications. The incumbent will function in a team-oriented environment and will interact directly with Investment business clients. Over time, the Applications Systems Analyst will work on systems supporting all asset classes (various derivatives, fixed income, FX, equities, private placement, real estate etc.).
The position is a senior role in promoting & operating in a structured approach in the determination of user requirements, technology design & development of investment integrated workflow solutions. The role requires an excellent understanding of Investment business processes and experience maintaining & supporting investment applications combined with strong project work skills, systems design, development and implementation experience. It requires strong interpersonal, organisational and project management skills combined with the ability to readily adapt to rapidly changing investment and technology environments.
- Acquires detailed knowledge of the business uses of the applications and services (in both Investment Front Office and Investment Analytics context) currently implemented in support of the Investment Division and provides proactive application support to individual users to assist in meeting business program objectives.
- Understands the application data models and participates in establishment of functional specifications and design, development and testing of proposed enhancements and interfaces in accordance with established structured methodologies.
- Provides business systems analysis support to users for developing automated solutions including system interfaces and meeting new requirements for the development of new reports or the resolution of application issues.
- Understands and responds proactively to business needs as they apply to the usage and support of investment systems applications and services.
- Provides key contributor support with respect to the identification of automation opportunities, definition of requirements, selection and implementation of new applications and services.
- Assumes responsibility for the ongoing system monitoring and troubleshooting of issues and liaises with relevant parties (external vendors, users, team staff) to ensure issue resolution on a timely basis; renders off-hours on-call support as required.
- Works cross-functionally with other Business and Business Applications Analysts within Investment Operations & Applications group, IT Infrastructure and Outsourcer as appropriate to facilitate the roll-out and ongoing support of major application additions, enhancements and upgrades for Investment Division users.
- Liaises with application vendors, other Investment application staff, IT Infrastructure, and the Outsourcer, as appropriate to plan for and facilitate the installation and configuration of new or upgraded application systems provided by external parties.
- Liaises with external vendors and data providers as it relates to IT change management processes.
- Provides for teamwork in a leadership role with other analysts and maintains a structured approach for implementing & supporting system solutions.
- Maintains effective working relationships with other personnel in Investment Operations & Applications, and with the Investment Division user community.
- Renders guidance and direction to other staff assigned to projects as part of the project and application teams.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in all phases of system development life cycle with emphasis on investment application package integration and implementation.
- A minimum of 5–7 years experience as a Technical Systems Analyst / Developer with at least 3 years exposure in relevant investment systems implementation activities. Investment applications including performance/analytics measurement, risk measurement and data warehousing as part of analytics tools on various platforms.
- Experience with developing integration between investment applications and development of data feed links and interfaces.
- A minimum of 3 years experience in database programming, with emphasis on SQL, C#, VB.Net, VB6, VB Script, MatLab, Perl, SQL Server and ODBC report writers such as Crystal Reports, Access / Excel, VBA etc;
- Knowledge of data warehousing & data management structuring is a definite asset.
- Knowledge of investment trading and portfolio management systems is a definite asset.
- Working knowledge of MS Office including Excel spreadsheets with real time links and Access databases.
- Working knowledge of, or practical experience with, web-based technologies.
- Excellent interpersonal skills in order to foster effective team dynamics.
- Strong leadership, analytical and problem-solving skills to facilitate the implementation of application systems to meet business objectives.
- Ability to multi-task effectively in fast-paced, multiple project environments.
- University degree in Computer Science, Engineering or Mathematics, Commerce & Finance, or equivalent industry-related business experience; completion of Canadian Securities Course an asset.